We wanted to center the crest on the blank wheel caps. Some suggested we do it by eye, but we knew that would not be sufficient for most of our meticulous readers...yeah, a few of us here are pretty anal as well. Besides, it would give us a chance to use all that high school geometry that we don't nearly get to use enough of for all the work we put into it.
First we traced the diameter of the cap and determined it to be 3". Next we drew a circle with a compass...you do have a compass, don't you? Using what we remembered from high school geometry, we drew an equilateral triangle inside the circle. If you don't remember, do what we did and ask the 16 year old intern.
When we placed the crest inside the triangle, we notice something interesting. Some of the designs in the crest aligned perfectly with some of the lines on our diagram! The center line ran true with the center line in the crest. The upper curve ended right at the edge of the sides of the triangle (top left and right arrows). Also note that the bottom horizontal line is in perfect alignment with the bottom of the triangle.
By aligning the points marked by the red arrows above, the crest will be perfectly centered within the circle. The next task was to figure out a way place the crest on the blank wheel cap.
We decided the easiest way was to just trace the outline, poke a hole through the corners, place the template on the cap, and mark it with a Sharpie. If we were going into mass production, this wouldn't be the most efficient method, but for this project it worked just fine.
Our next decision was whether to hot glue the crest on or see if the 3M film would hold. We decided to give the 3M film a try. The main reason was if we didn't like how it looked, we were pretty sure we could use something like GooGone to dissolve the adhesive and get the crest off.
Everything was clamped together and let set for a few hours (probably overkill, but we had other things to do). When we removed the clamps, the crest was on tight. We tried prying it off with a knife, but it didn't budge.
We are not sure yet if we like the "raised" look. We may try to give it a more OEM look by embedding the crest in the cap...this is where the Dremel is going to come in handy.
UPDATE: After much discussion, we realized another point we can use for centering the crest is the intersection of the two main axes on the design.
We mounted up some silver crests to see how it would look. We actually like the look of these a lot better.